Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Skimming stones

As a final post before the break I took this at the weekend. You can just make out the stones in "flight" as the boys throw the pebbly beach back into the sea.
Back next Monday 5th Feb. In the meantime - why not check out some of the other Daily Photo sites from the links on the right hand side.

Monday, January 29, 2007

Brighton Seafront in the morning

Taken at dawn this morning, this rest shelter with the sun behind it created a nice orange glow through the windows.

As a heads up I won't be posting from Weds through Sun as it's annual ski holiday time.

Sunday, January 28, 2007

London to Brighton

Found this over at YouTube. For all of you who know this journey well enough it's worth a squiz. It's only two minutes long.

Paraglider I

Taken at Devil's Dyke yesterday - this is another "guest photo" from Jane Dallaway. The rest of photos from this series are at http://jane.dallaway.com/photos/2007_01_27/content/index.html

Jane comments "I love the way the light is falling on the hills in the background"

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Guest photo

Today's photo has been provided by Jayne Eke. She says "As an ex-Brighton girl, I need my Brighton fix every day and thanks to you for providing it!
I live in Holland, but get back 2 x a year for family and friends.

I’m sending you 2 photos I took at the end of the pier. It was a sunny day, but very cold (the end of December)."

Thanks Jayne for this great shot taken from the pier.

Friday, January 26, 2007

Before and after....

No sooner had the snow arrived then it had gone again! Snow in Brighton is a rarity.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Icy Morning

This one is from Anne. Also in Brighton - but Brighton in Michigan!

Anne says"I live in Brighton, Michigan USA and have attached some photos taken in my yard of last week's heavy ice storm....

Interestingly, our local newspaper is also the Brighton Argus and is also owned by Gannett! "

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Snow in Brighton and Hove. Overnight we had an inch of snow over Brighton and Hove. This shot taken at 8 o'clock this morning of the Royal Pavillion.

More photos of the snow can be viewed over at Brighton Daily Photo Extra

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Guest Post: Jane Dallaway

This post is from Jane Dallaway and is the first guest post to be featured on this site. It's entitled : Brighton Pier with the tailend of the storm.

Jane comments "Taken on Sunday 21st January with a ND filter to get some "fluff" to the sea."

Check her out on Jane Dallaway

Thanks Jane - and other potential guest posters email me at: harveydean_uk@hotmail.com

Monday, January 22, 2007

The Neptune, Hove

One of Brighton and Hove's more interesting boozers. Interesting folk, interesting setting and sometimes interesting bands! Beer's well looked after here and you'll always be made welcome.

Sunday, January 21, 2007

The last in Black and White series (7/7)

Taken today in Hove Park, here's the final B&W (7/7) shot this week. A simple subject matter and not particularly relevant to Hove and Brighton. But I like this one!Send me in your shots to the guest week (see below post). Looking forward to hearing from you all.Deano.

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Brighton Marina. B&W 6/7 in the series

In startling contrast to the storms of yesterday, there was a glimpse of blue sky down at the marina.

Those of you who have expressed an interest in guesting a photo on the site please email me with a full sized image of your Brighon photo to harveydean_uk@hotmail.com and include your comments. I'll start posting them from Monday onwards when the current Black and White series finishes.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Friday, January 19, 2007

Storms hit UK again

There have been winds up to 100mph throughout the UK today with devastating effects with up to 9 people losing their lives.

The pier here with the sea whipping up a froth underneath it. Here are some more photos of the stormy weather from around the UK

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Colourful Brighton Photo

I Really, really wanted to cover this in colour. However we're in 4/7 of this weeks B&W pics. Enjoy some colourful flags on the seafront - use your imagination. Deano. x

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Beach Hut Life

Brighton photos Black and White (3/7)
Yes it's the middle of winter but us Brits still battle on regardless and even take the time out for some leisure time down at the Beach Huts. This group spotted taking in a brew and enjoying the fleeting glimpses of the sun.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Brighton Photos Seafront Black and White

The second (2/7) in the B&W series of Brighton Photos. Taken as the last sunshine for this week beamed down on a cold beach this afternoon - the rest of the week is rain apparently :( I've had a couple of responses for the call of other Brighton photo bloggers and watch this space as we could have some guest blogger's entries very shortly.

Monday, January 15, 2007

Black and white (B&W) week

Posted by PicasaKicks off here with this shot taken today from behind the King Alfred Leisure centre in Hove. I know you should always ask permission to take a photo, but I didn't want to wake the guy on the left ;). There's a wonderful symetry to this shot and it works really well in black and white.
Which kicks off a week in Black and White for this Brighton Photos site.
ALSO: Some help needed, I'm thinking of getting the Canon 400D - anyone got one, and recommend it?
ALSO ALSO: My learned colleague Jim Byford suggested that I may invite people to "guest" post on this site (which I think is a wonderful idea) - so if you'd like to post as a guest on the site please contact me (you need to post Brighton Photos of course!)

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Brighton Photos at night

Continuing with the theme, 'nuff said here really Brighton photos don't get more authentuc than this really.

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Sackville Hotel in Hove

This is all that's now left of what was a rather splendid hotel, in it's day, The Sackville Hotel.
Last April it's roof caved in and the building was rendered unsafe. Later that year the whole hotel collapsed, and now is reduced to this pile of rubble, a great brighton photo!

According to all the hotel booking websites you can still book a room there, but I'd advise against it.

Here's a photo of the hotel in it's glory days

Friday, January 12, 2007

Rough seas and storms across the UK

Apols for the abstract nature of this photo - it was taken from the pier in pitch black, using Picasa I've filled in the light and put on a a bit of a tint. All day storms have battered the UK, even on the pier the sea hit this buttress and then showered seawater all over the decking on the pier - I love stormy seas in Brighton.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Brighton Marina Village at night.

Brighton Marina Village. It looks quite cosmo at night down at the Marina, they've strung fairy lights around the fake palm trees (you can just about make them out here).

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Underneath the arches

Just off the seafront between the Brighton Pier and the Marina Village is a series of arches, underneath which are a collection of bars, galleries, storage areas - they're just a unique part of Brighton and very iconic, shot here at night on long exposure.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Christmas Tree Graveyard

In Brighton and Hove (and I'm sure many other places in the UK) we have a policy around recycling the Christmas Trees. There are centres all over Brighton where you can take your tired sad droopy old tree to be recycled into mulch for garden! A great idea, but a sad sight to see all these abandoned Xmas Trees in a pile awaiting their fate!Posted by Picasa

Monday, January 08, 2007

The Peace Statue

Whilst I have published this in the past i wanted to publish again today. The Peace Statue.

Sunday, January 07, 2007

The Gingerman, Brighton Restaurant

Probably Brighton's finest restuarant and best kep secret. The atmosphere - intimate, the food - wholesome and adventurous, the service - friendly and respectful. This is easily one of my favourite places in Brighton - we just don't get there enough.

Situated just off Norfolk Square The Gingerman can be reached on 01273 326688 - I can't recommend it enough - If you're in Brighton go along! This is part of Brighton..... Posted by Picasa

Saturday, January 06, 2007

No swimming today

Hot off the press, this photo was taken at 11am this morning, as you can see it's a pretty grim morning in Hove and Brighton. Anyone fancy a swim!!! Posted by Picasa

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Shoreham docks and Simon Jones

I took this rather grim picture of the silos on the seafront at Shoreham Docks. Looking on google for a bit more info on the docks this was my search engine results page

As you can see it's the listings mention the sad story of simon jones

There is a campaign against casualisation of work and the history can be found here

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Looking out to sea....

There has been some pretty rough weather here down on the coast for the past few days, so it was nice to see a little blue sky yesterday down on the prom.

The rough sea had thrown pebbles from the beach on to the promenade.

Here looking out to sea is my pal Damon Petken and his beau Lindsey... Posted by Picasa