Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Rainy days and rainbows

"The UK has experienced its second warmest winter on record, with a mean temperature of 5.47C (41.8F), provisional Met Office figures show" Courtesy of the BBC

It's been really mild here with lots of rain over the past few weeks.

This rainbow was shot from my back window, additional pics over at Brighton Daily Photo Extra

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Brighton Pier

By keeping the shutter open just a fraction I was able to get a really nice flat shimmer on the sea, reflecting the lights from the Pier on this shot.

You can leave comments on any photo contained in this blog by clicking on the "comments" highlight below the post.

Monday, February 26, 2007

Traffic problems in Brighton

In their eminent wisdom the council have decided again to dig up the road on North Street. The ensuing chaos at weekends means that if you're heading to Brighton by car - allow time to get into the centre - it's gridlock!

And what's worse - it looks like it will be for a year or so....

Sunday, February 25, 2007

G Spot

Just around the corner from where we live is a signmakers. I couldn't resist this neon sign, which is inside the store, shot from the outside of the store at night.

Is this the G-Spot?

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Horror Show

This scary looking witch flies around on her broomstick at the end of the pier as part of the Ghost Train.

I've got a book which details the more gruesome side of Brighton, Murders and Mysteries of Brighton. Perhaps I'll do a theme on this over the course of this month!

Friday, February 23, 2007

Pub Life

"When you have lost your inns, drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England!"

Find out about all you need to know about UK Pub Life!

This is the inside of a local Brighton hostelry know as the Market Inn, found just on the outskirts of the lanes.

This was on Champions League night, where Liverpool beat Barcelona 1-2 in the first leg.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Coffee Shop

Just around the corner from where I live they opened this little coffee shop, It's been a raging success especially with all the Mum's (it's opp. the local school)

Portland Rd is a mish mash of all sorts of weird shops, including a Greek souveneir shop and a Dive School!

The one shop it doesn't have though is a bakery - perhaps a business idea!

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Fish and chips on the Pier...

Happy snapping away, I love this shot of these folk enjoying a lunch of fish and chips on the main Brighton Pier.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Boat on fire just off Shoreham Nr Brighton

A £400,000 yacht caught fire off the coast yesterday and could be seen for miles as the coast guard and other boats went out to rescue the stricken vessel. Apparently there were 6 people on board and all were unhurt. This photo was taken from the coast in Hove.More pictures and the full story can be found here.

Monday, February 19, 2007

This close up taken on the D80 is of the display outside Gunns the florist on North Street Brighton. No doubt imported these wonderful tulips remind me a the incoming spring - bring it on - we've had enough rain!

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Brighton Half Marathon Sussex Beacon 2007

Brighton half marathon 2007 was held today down at Madeira Drive. A fantastic achievement for all who participated, the charity it supports is the Sussex Beacon.

A big shout goes out to my colleagues at Spannerworks who took part and completed the run, both Will Locke and Dave Coats passed the finishing line in 1Hr 40 mins - nice one lads and last but by no means least is the fantastic Charlotte McDougall (pictured) who elegantly crossed the line at a very respectible 2Hr 20 mins. I don't know where she found the energy as she's been flat out recently putting together the new website for her company. Well done all three, hats off to you.

More photos of Charlotte and the brighton half marathon can be found over at Brighton Daily Photo Extra

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Rounder Records, Brighton UK

Rounder Records, world famous in Brighton. Brighton's oldest and leading independent record shop. They stock CDs, loads of vinyl, and cult DVDs. They also specialise in all sorts of music except rubbish.

Also a ticket agent for Brighton gigs.

This is the central hub for music in Brighton , this is where Skint records started and has been linked with Fatboy Slim and the Brighton dance scene for years.

For me, Rounder Records is where I go to know what new is out and what gigs are on sale.

Remaining an independent store is still a great achievement and has been around for over 40 years.

Friday, February 16, 2007

Fudge!

I love the word fudge! It's one of those weird words that sounds funny when said.

And there's a whole fudge world out there and apparently it's a hair product too....

This shot taken down in the lanes - I've always been tempted but never given in and bought some....

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Back in the 60's Brighton became infamous for skirmishes between rival groups of youths, under their pop culture "brands" of Mods or Rockers - the country was shocked as violent clashes happened in seaside resorts across Britain. Here's what the wiki has to say.

Still surviving the decades there are those that remain devoted to their cause and with their brand comes distinctive music and fashion.

Icons of their generation?

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Night time shot of Hove.

The street where I live.

Experimenting with night time shots can be a tortuous affair, this one however I really like. This is the street where I live in Hove!

Clearly I should get out more, just finding the time to get around Brighton at the moment is difficult with so much time spend working in London and a few trips abroad.

Monday, February 12, 2007

Laid up sick....

Apols but i didn't get out today, laid up in my sick bed (aaahh!)

Experimenting with the new Nikon D80 though, can produce some interesting results......

Shots of the recent Chamonix trip can be found over here

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Park Life

In every town, city and hamlet, the length and breadth of the country this scene is the same. Sunday "park life" football (soccer for you American readers).

Usually people who are unfit (like myself) and too old for this sort of strenuous activity go and kick a ball around in the local park for a couple of hours every Sunday.

Thus replicated up and down the country - English Park life.....

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Is Spring on its way in Brighton

Could it be that the weather has turned? Could Spring be on its way in Brighton and Hove?

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Third and final guest photo

Once again, Hannah and Paul come up trumps with this wonderful shot taken on the beach Nr the smoke huts in deepest darkest Hove ;)

Brings back fond memories of this photo taken over at my family site

Thanks again Paul and Hannah

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Guest Photo (2)

As I'm out of town on in Barcelona at the mo (hey Barcelona DP where's hot to go?) I've been really lucky in receiving more shots from Hannah and Paul. I know this one's one of Paul's faves, great lines and contrast (and I think it's his shot too - go Paul...), Stark but beautiful.....your thoughts?

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Guest Photo - Paul & Hannah

Great friends of mine sent this through to me today. I'm sure you'll agree it's a great shot. I think Hannah took this whilst out prowling with her D80 in the Marina, Brighton. Great movement don't you think?

Thanks Paul and thanks Hannah - you're today's guest photo.

Dean

Monday, February 05, 2007

Brighton Daily Photo is One year old today

It's been a giggle, a pain, a joy and thoroughly enjoyable experience. Thank you to all who visit this humble photo blog. It's one year old today.
Dean