Saturday, March 31, 2007

The Garden Fence

As ordinary as the garden fence I thought - but just such a simple shot with wonderful colour and texture - not very Brighton I know but I just like it - so there.....bite me!

Friday, March 30, 2007

Linden Labs comes to Brighton

For those tech savvy individuals then the name Linden Labs will be well known to you, but to the uninitiated (and I include myself among you) Linden Labs are the makers of second life.

Second life is a 3D world where the people kick about and well, generally, have a second life!

What's really neat though is the Linden Labs have decided to have a base in Brighton and (here's the relevance to the photo) are recruiting here in Brighton for developers......get in......Brighton truly is becoming the Silicon Valley of the UK (fnarr!)

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Chris Eubank - Famous Boxer

Chris Eubank a Hove resident, and can often be seen driving a large truck with his name on the side.

Mr Eubank was one of the world's top boxers in the late 1980s and early 1990s, and is renowned for always being immaculately dressed.

He's recently been in trouble for writing political messages on the back of his truck and driving it around Whitehall.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Normal service and Spring arrives...

So whilst I was away on the ABTOF conference it seems that Spring has returned to replace the cold snap we were having. Hove Lawns were a hive of activity late this afternoon, there was even someone playing croquest out on Hove Lawns! I wanted to get a snap but didn't have the camera at the ready :(

Monday, March 26, 2007

Gehry Towers

Internationally renowned architect Frank Gehry* and his developer consortium have had their plans to build Gehry Towers on the site of the current King Alfred Centre in Hove approved. This controversial project will start in 2008 and complete by 2012.

As a taxpaying (and parking fine paying!) resident I'm not sure how I feel about this on our doorstep, 750 flats to boot - i just want a good swimming centre to take the kids!!

I know it's a departure so this isn't a photo of Brighton - but just one of how it might look in 2012...

Sunday, March 25, 2007

ABTOF CONFERENCE 2007

The last few days I've been at Futuroscope on conference Nr Poitiers France.

It's been a great conference bumping into old friends and making some new ones to boot.

Normal service resumes tomorrow!

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Massive cold snap

We've been experiencing a return to winter here down on the south coast - biting winds, freezing temperatures and some snow!!!!

This shot of the impressive building at Hove Lawns looks cold and uninviting which is pretty much how we're feeling here too..........

Brighton Daily Photo will be off air until Sunday as I'm away again on conference in Poitiers, France.

So if there's anyone with any brighton shots you can send over - I'd be happy to publish them.

Thanks

Dean

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Vegetarian Shoes?

This is a stock shot from my library as I was away on business today in Cardiff.

Run by Robin Webb down on Gardner Street in the North Laines, Vegetarian Shoes have been going since 1990.

Robin reports that he no longer has to make the shoes himself, which is good as there's a worldwide order book and I know they're very popular in Brighton....

Monday, March 19, 2007

Inside Brighton Museum

Inside's a real treat, including this piece on the Mods and Rockers in Brighton.

You can amost hear the Quodrophenia sound track now....

Here's a shot of the front of the museum

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Could not make a choice!

I had taken two shots today that I simply could not decide between the two as to which would become the Brighton Daily Photo.

The first is some Spring Daffs, the second is a couple of boats out on the Shoreham tidal river.

Therefore - I'd like your feedback - which shot should I have decided upon?

Just click on comments below....and leave your opinion.

PS THE DAFFS ARE FOR SARAH, FOR BEING THE BEST MUM IN THE WORLD!

Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Peace Statue at dusk

Wonderful colouring of the sky in this late capture this evening - in the foreground is the Peace Statue - beyond that are hove lawns looking West towards Worthing. - just catching the lighting up of the streetlamps on the left.

There's been no tinkering with this shot - just pure colour!

Friday, March 16, 2007

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Brighton People Series (4)

As we had the warmest day here on record I've entitled this one - "walking on sunshine" (#4 of 7)

Monday, March 12, 2007

Brighton People Series (3)

This is the third of this weeks portraits of the folk of Brighton.

(#3 of 7)

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Brighton People Series (2)

Continuing with the (controversial?) series of portraits shot in Brighton. This one (#2) I like because of the shadows and the background thrown out of focus with a low aperture.

Struggling for a title for this one - maybe you could help me out with a suggestion?

Leave your comments by clicking on the "comments" word below....

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Brighton People Series (1)

I thought I'd try a week of portrait shots of random people in Brighton. This is portrait #1 entitled "Caught Red Handed"

I know it's a sensitive subject catching people without their permission. So if anyone seriously objects I'll pull the series, also if this is YOU and you don't want to be published just let me know.

Cheers and enjoy.

Dean

Friday, March 09, 2007

Guest Photo - Paul and Hannah

Comment from Paul -"hi Dean, I can't work out how to sign in to leave comments, but it was me that took this one. I like the reflection of the buildings in the bowl shaped cover, and the intensity of the blue sky.Hannah shot the beach and Tidy Street, but they're not as good."

Lol Paul

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Guest Photo: Paul & Hannah

The very talented photographers Paul and Hannah sent this one in to help me out whilst I'm away on biz in Edinburgh. Sadly I don't know whether this one was Paul or Hannah and they didn't send through a comment - perhaps they'll log in and leave a comment about their thoughts on this great shot.

Paul, Hannah?

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Carluccios

A regular haunt for meetings and social gatherings amongst my colleagues ;) this is Carluccios at night just near to the library in Brighton - they do a mean double expresso and Egg, Foccacia, Parma ham breakfast. Apols for not posting Monday - I was away on training over at Alfriston

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The Beach nightclub brighton

On the seafront, and a regular "Gatecrasher" venue, is the Beach nightclub. A regular hotspot for clubbers and top DJ's.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

South Downs Way

This random shot was taken in an idle moment up on the Downs earlier today, it just struck me that the trees up on the downs get blown about a bit. In this case east to west - see how the branches lie.

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Brighton Fishing Museum of the Sea

Nestled in on the seafront is this little known museum showing a few artefacts of Brighton's fishing community, better still, just next door there's a sandwich shop offering fresh crab sandwiches - well worth a look (and taste!)

Friday, March 02, 2007

West Pier at Dusk

If you click to enlarge this photo you can just make out the flocks of Starlings that still swirl and fly around the west pier at dusk prior to settling down for the night amongst its beams and rafters.